Monday, March 31, 2008

Thing 15 - Fun & Games

Aargghhh! I'm going fer Puzzle Pirates! Who doesn't like a good pirate!? But I downloaded the files.....and launched the game.....and got a "sorry, the server must be down for maintenance" message! Rats!

I have played a few games online - not the big role-playing ones (I don't have enough time to devote) but other, shorter games. In the iGoogle homepage I set up, there's an online version of Tetris - one of my all-time favorites. And when I was working on a catalog listing of a game my library purchased for use in the library, I found there was an online version. So I tried it. It's addictive! I had to buy my own copy. I have sucked up many hours playing Zuma. And I hear that Bejeweled is also fun. Find them at Pop-Cap Games.

I'm off to try Puzzle Pirates again....

[next day] Well, Puzzle Pirates didn't work when I tried it again yesterday and it didn't work today - on either my Mac or my PC. I tried both playing online and downloading their free client. So then I went to Second Life, registered, downloaded stuff, waited for the email verification.....and it won't play either. It could be there's just too much Internet traffic or - perhaps more likely - our computer systems are blocking these kinds of sites. And my Internet access at home is dialup, so way too slow to do online gaming.

I remember seeing a lot about Second Life a couple years ago, maybe when the Info Island was first set up, and then it really dropped off. I had totally forgotten about it. I was thinking that it was perhaps not as popular as it used to be, and then the Info Island blog talked about a big unveiling that happened two days ago.

We will hopefully be providing some gaming opportunities in our library in the future - first for teens but perhaps expanding to other groups, such as seniors. Gaming for seniors is a big thing now.



No comments: