Monday, March 17, 2008

Thing 11 - Delicious!

Del.icio.us is a great way to keep track of all the various sites someone's interested in, on a variety of subjects. I followed some of the tags around. The usefulness of the sites varies, of course, like everything on the Internet. I also uploaded most of the bookmarks from my office computer; now I need an opportunity to access them from another computer to see what a life-saver it can be.

I see how it can work in an educational setting, but I'm not sure how useful it is for libraries. We keep subject lists of websites as html pages on our website. Do other libraries transfer these to del.icio.us tags? How is this more useful for the patron? I'm going to have to think about this and talk with some of our librarians...

I looked at the library sites mentioned. Some of them have seemingly random lists of bookmarks. Menasha Library does have a subject list, so there's some organization of sites, which seems more useful. San Mateo organized their links by Dewey number - useful to their own library staff, I imagine, and to other librarians but less accessible for the general public.

No comments: