Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Thing 36 - Generating some fun

I'm thrilled to find the online pdf converters (Publisher files are often a problem), but when I uploaded a file to try it out, I got an error message saying there were server problems. I'll try that again later, because this would provide a real service for us. I think the password generators could be very useful as well ... as long as you remember to write them down somewhere! (My top tip for anyone doing the Things programs is to write down your usernames and passwords!)

I tried out the little READ posters and the newspaper generator, using a clever press release one of our former librarians wrote for a previous summer reading program.


And Wordle is fun - I did several versions for Strikepoint, which I'll post on the Strikepoint blog, but here's one of them.

I've seen these done before but haven't tried it. Just clicking the Randomize button after you get the initial image is fun. I did a Timetoast timeline for last summer's tour. If I had the photos of the churches where we played, I would have included them.



Oh yeah - way too much fun!




Nancy Eaton's Dewey Decimal Section:

585 Gymnosperms; conifers

Nancy Eaton's birthday: 6/28/1957 = 628+1957 = 2585


Class:
500 Science


Contains:
Math, astronomy, prehistoric life, plants and animals.



What it says about you:
You are fascinated by the world around you, and see it as a puzzle worth exploring. You try to understand how things work and how you can make them better. You might be a nerd.

Find your Dewey Decimal Section at Spacefem.com





2 comments:

Linda said...

Besides the apps listed, there are lots more out there and I see you've found library uses for the ones you tried. How do you think the Dewey section did in describing you?

Dave Carlson said...

Just today working my way thru Thing 36. Timetoast may apply to my travel blog. Dewey generator looks like fun once. I tried password generators before, and came up with a better scheme of my own. My wife hates it when I change passwords on sites we both use. TIAA-CREF I discovered today had reverted to my social security number for a username, so the best intentions of writing down names and passwords isn't foolproof.