Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Thing 34 - Not Really Competition

Several of the answer sites were pretty fun. I liked Ask Metafilter and ChaCha. AllExperts and WikiAnswers required a lot of clicking in order to get to the questions. Yahoo also required a lot of clicking down into subcategories, and there are a lot of pretty useless polls (Chinese or Mexican food? Are you a morning person?) and questions that result in opinions but perhaps not answers (Should food be rationed to all in order to combat global warming?). Amazon's Askville is nice, but I didn't like that the first thing you see on a page is the sponsored ad links.

For me, if I wanted specific information, it would seem quicker and much more direct to ask a librarian (or even to do a specific Internet search). If I had extra time (HA!) and wanted to surf for anything interesting, these sites could be amusing. I'm not likely to spend much more time on them, though.

Where I do see a use for them is for some of the specific requests that the library - or at least my library - can't answer: how can I do this (insert task here) using this piece of software? or What are people's experiences with this particular restaurant or hotel in this location?

1 comment:

Linda said...

Your answer is very perceptive. There is a place for these sites and what they do, but they are not really competition. They can be used to our advantage when necessary, but libraries may maintain an advantage with trained staff who know how to retrieve info from library resources.