Monday, April 27, 2009

Thing 35 - Books, Books, Books

I will confess that I have not done anything with LibraryThing since the first 23 Things last spring. It seemed to me like a lot of work to enter what I own or what I was reading or what I want to read, and then to maintain it. That could all be time that I *was* reading! But there are quite a number of people on one of my listservs who love it and get lots of reading suggestions from each other. (On the other hand, I'm not going to live long enough to read the reading suggestions I have now!)

I tried librarious because I thought it would be a good way to keep track of DVDs I own. And it probably would - I'd just need to spend a lot more time entering information. I added Twitterlit to my iGoogle homepage, but my phone plan doesn't support the other services that will send info. Twitterlit could be diverting...

Then I tried both Reading Trails and What Do I Read Next. WDIRN offered some truly bizarre suggestions that were not at all similar to the titles I entered. There were some that *were* similar, but of course the weird ones are the ones that stood out! The BookStumpers site is always fun to surf through. I have a passion for reading series books in order, so the Which Book site may prove to be useful.

I wasn't very impressed with the various online book community sites. The listserv I'm on provides real book discussion, a lot of off-topic discussion and tons of book suggestions, so I'll stick with that. On the other hand, I like the book group resources sites; we have permission to use both the Reading Group ones when putting together our book club in a bag kits, and I'm glad to find out about the Lit Lovers site. I looked at several of the sites in the other categories and played around with Facebook's Visual Bookshelf a bit - that'll probably be the app I'd use the most.

With all of these book-related websites, and all of the people who are passionate enough about the books they're reading to support and maintain those websites, how can people think that the age of the book is passing? There's certainly room for both books and technology!

1 comment:

Linda said...

I agree with you; I'd rather be reading, but these site are intriguing and useful for keeping track. Your summary is so encouraging, room for both technology and books, Hurrah! Report of the demise of books is premature.