Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thing 29 - Google Tools

The parts of this Thing that I think are most useful are ones that I'm already doing. I set up a Google Alert some time ago to track references to my library - good for seeing what's being said out there or for seeing media references that I've missed. Our city administration also has an alert set up. As part of this Thing I did go in and try to refine the search terms so that I get more narrowly defined results.

I've also been using the Google Calendar product for some time, and have it linked on my library website. Here's the link to the page where it's embedded, but I see now it doesn't appear to display in Safari. Great - something else to figure out...

I read some of the tips articles and there are certainly lots of cool ways to use Google Calendar for your personal calendar. I will explore some of these for myself later.

Oh, Google 411 is very cool. I am definitely going to try that. I looked briefly at Google Health. I can see that it does useful things - consolidating records, keeping information about medications, diseases/conditions all at hand, etc. - but I don't think that I want to put my health and medical records out on any website. I'm tempted by the Google Desktop....

1 comment:

Linda said...

Isn't that the way of technology? Always something else to figure out. You're not the only one hesitant about putting health record info online as you can see from a comment on this thing in the wiki. I guess you have to weigh the risks, but hearing this week about how Google Docs were accidently shared doesn't give one a lot of confidence, does it?