Friday, March 6, 2009

Thing 28 - Customized homepages

I thought this was fun during the first 23, and it still is. This is something that I've been doing since last spring. I created an iGoogle homepage on one of my work computers and have changed the background and added gadgets to it several times. I have some useful things and some....fun....things on it. There's a little To Do list that looks like a legal pad that I use to narrow down the top things I need to get done. And I've got weather/temperature info from Duluth and from some places I'd rather be (my Florida vacation spot, London...). Just looking through some of the options on Google Gadgets has been really interesting. Every so often (like maybe three or four times in total) I've scrolled through a few pages and added a couple things. Puppy of the Day photos. Times of movies showing in Duluth.

It never occurred to me, though, that you could add other 2.0 tools to the page. I added a Facebook gadget, which might make me remember to check Facebook more often! And I added gadgets for my Flickr photos and delicious bookmarks. I added a sticky note gadget, but it would work essentially the way my legal pad To Do List gadget does, so I deleted that. There are a couple others that I added last year and haven't looked at - hard to remember to scroll all the way down the page... - so I deleted them and moved some others around.

This is a really useful ability - to create your own homepage without having to know any html and to be able to add so many fun and useful things. I may show this to my mother, who would enjoy having things like the current stock market info so readily available.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Yup, that's what 23 Things and More Things is all about, learning and sharing. The customized home page really does help integrate those 2.0 apps into your everyday life. I know I find it useful, informative, and convenient to have the tools of the job on my homepage too, a translator, wikipedia, zip code lookup, etc. It's wonderful that they've made it so easy for people and that they're so easy to change.