Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Thing 39 - Digital Storytelling

What could be better - scrapbooking *and* computers?? These tools were lots of fun, and I want to play with them more, both at home and at work. For the page creation, I tried both Scrapblog and Smilebox. With Scrapblog, it wanted me to purchase anything I wanted to use on a page (which I didn't want to do). With Smilebox, I wanted to create just one page, but the template required me to do four (which of course took more time). It's nice to be able to use video in the pages, though, and to add music.

Uploading the file from Smilebox did not go smoothly. The application kept quitting, and then it was unclear as to whether it was actually uploading the file or not.  So I tried it from home, and didn't even get that far. The application would download but not open - kept crashing.

So back I went to Scrapblog and finally found some things I could use without buying them. The page is the post above.

I liked both of these tools, but there are some drawbacks - the fact that I couldn't actually upload the Smilebox set is the biggest one, of course. I'll try it from work again tomorrow and see if the problem has been resolved or if their tech support has any suggestions. I think digital scrapbooking would be really nice to implement on my library website, but it may take a while to get going.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I'm glad you went back to Scrapblog to find that you could do it for free although this does limit your selection. I thought both of these sites would be great tools to use for library promotion.

I had no trouble with smilebox, but as with all these tools, they are constantly changing along with having server problems of various sorts. I have found most of them to have pretty good tech support, so I think that avenue is well worth the effort.