Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Thing 23 - Woo hoo!

This has been a very useful and very interesting experience. I've urged several other library staff and former staff to participate. I hope that the list of Things and instructions will remain up for a long time. 

Some of the Things have had a direct impact on my work and I've been able to incorporate some of them into my library website. The timing was great! I learned how to work with Flickr and PictureTrail just at the time that we began a big construction project. I've put photo slideshows up on both of those sites and then added a couple videos to YouTube. The timing could not have been better.

The online productivity tools were surprising to me - things I never expected to find on the web. Also the online document sharing abilities.

And then some of the things I'll probably never use again - like the avatar. But it's still useful to know something about the process.

I would definitely do the next 23 things.

I really enjoyed the Common Craft videos as part of the Things. Whoever worked on putting together this overall project did a good job. Most things were very clearly explained and the resources were useful. Thing 17 - ELM Productivity Tools - was the one that seemed to be the densest. I know there were some participants who weren't familiar with the databases and therefore had difficulty with the tools for them.

My overall feeling during this project was amazement. The variety of tools and software and web capabilities is truly mind-boggling. What a lot of truly imaginative and gifted people there are working on these kinds of sites! I'm so glad to be more conversant with what I hear or read about. Thanks for providing this opportunity!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Congratulations! You've done a lot of hard work and many "things" and you've found there are many more. Look for a new bunch in the future. We do plan to leave this up for those who want to go back and do the challenges or couldn't take time to get it done before April 16.

Enjoyed the progress reports on your construction project.