Thursday, February 20, 2014

Mobile Thing 3 - Utilities

I've tried several QR scanner apps over the past few years - one worked great in my office but wouldn't scan anything in real life. One worked well - it may have been Red Laser - but has somehow disappeared from my phone. So I've re-downloaded it and will be glad to have it back. I don't use it often, but when you need it, you need it!

I've used QR codes at my library for several years. We've added them to posters for programs, and they take users to the webpage with more details about the events. For the last 2 or 3 years I've included one on the cover of our One Book, One Community brochure, again linking to the webpage. I saw a suggestion on a listserv for posting a QR code next to the Chilton manuals which would then take the patron to the Chilton database. I like that idea -  need to pass it on to our databases librarian!

I also downloaded Google Search, onto both my phone and my iPad. I think Google Goggles will prove to be useful, but in my limited test in my office, it didn't find many results. I did scan a book's barcode so I could see what the results will be, and this would have a lot of use when traveling or shopping. (Hmmm....maybe I need to travel. Or go shopping! All in the name of 23 Things research...) I like a lot of the Google apps/services, so it'll be great to have them all aggregated in one spot.

And I downloaded the WiFi Finder. Undoubtedly useful. Oh, wait. I already had that one!

No comments: