Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Thing 43 - Online TV

Hmmm.....just what I need - more TV! 

Hulu was very fun. I'd looked at it a year or so ago after seeing it mentioned somewhere else. This is a great way to see episodes you missed or old TV shows. I watched part of an episode of It Takes a Thief, which I loved as a kid. (Ahh....Robert Wagner!!) And it is not available on DVD.


(It made me laugh to see that when I ran this on my computer, the commercial sponsor was the National Anti-Crime Network. For a show about a jewel thief! Ha!)

The problem for me here again is bandwidth. I don't think my connection at home is fast enough to watch with any continuity, and I'm sure not going to do this at work.

It's fun to know that this is available, but I don't see any library application here and I probably won't use it much at home.  (A colleague just suggested that out-of-copyright films could be shown as a public program.) While I certainly watch *plenty* of TV, I don't think I want to do it in front of my computer screen, even if connection speed weren't an issue.

Still, this to me is one of the marvels of the Internet - the fact that so many programs and specials that are no longer available through "regular" TV can be enjoyed without special charge (except for the high-speed access...) by anyone in the world. Amazing.

No comments: